Sunday 22 May 2011

Shack Up Inn & Hicks BBQ

Saturday 21st May - Clarksdale MISSISSIPPI

Dinner was at Hicks tamales and BBQ, the BBQ was the best I've ever tasted and considering there were pictures on the wall of president Clinton enjoying the food I could say I was in good company.  It doesn't look like much, kind of like the places you stop for junk food on your way home after a night out in Leeds but a million times the quality and taste.  Anyone who comes within a 100 miles of Clarksdale has to come here, it would be evil not too.

Tonight we are staying at the Shack Up Inn, a kind of holiday park made up of old sharecropper homes that were going to be destroyed but were instead saved and brought to one place to create a holiday village of shacks centered around an original cotton gin.  It's ace, we are renting the Robert Clay shack, originally he was a sharecropper who drove a tractor and lived in the house with his 7 sons.  I don't know where he put them but as I write this I am sat on the front porch in my pj's enjoying my last beer of the evening and being thankful the building was saved. (Being thankful, I think those darned christians wore off on me).

Also, it's thunder and lightening overhead, I know Leon has a Dylan song reference for this exact thing in this exact place but I can't remember it but the breeze is welcome and the rain sounds pretty on the corrugated tin roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment